Summertime brings out some of the best parts of the year: blueberry and grilling season. I must admit, I personally enjoy blueberry picking much more than grilling, which is why I’ll be out picking 4 quarts of blueberries today for our weekly grocery shopping. (It’s the perfect job for me!)
Now, when it comes to grilling, we don’t actually have a grill at our house right now. It actually works out pretty well because we finally brought out an unused indoor grill that’s been moving around with us. (Even better for me because I don’t need to worry about precautions to avoid cross-contact with gluten and my food allergens!)
Our Indoor Grill!
Our favorite way to combine these two summer loves is with a grilled lemon-herb skewer topped with a blueberry dressing, where the blueberries will steal the show and your hearts. The dressing is both sweet and sour bringing together a beautiful blend of flavors.
Lemon-Herb Chicken Skewers w/ Blueberry Dressing*
Allergens: Celiac friendly and free of the top 8 allergens. Always buy specific ingredients that meet your allergen needs.
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 1 ¼ lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, each cut into about 20 pieces
- 1 cup blueberries, divided
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- 1 tsp. minced jalapeño pepper
- Canola Oil
- Turn the food processor on. Drop the garlic through the shoot and process until chopped.
- Add parsley, basil, cilantro, olive oil, lemon rind, lemon juice, and ground black pepper until finely chopped.
- Add a ¼ tsp. of salt and pulse.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the herb mixture and chicken. Toss. Refrigerate for one hour.
- In a small saucepan combine 1/2 cup blueberries, vinegar, and honey over medium heat. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened. Use a spoon to occasionally break up the blueberries. Store in a medium size bowl.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup blueberries to a cleaned food processor, and pulse 5 times. Combine chopped blueberries, 1/8 teaspoon salt, onion, and jalapeño pepper with vinegar mixture. Your blueberry salsa is complete!
You can see the blueberry dressing here on the finished product!
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. At the same time, soak wooden skewers in water for approximately 10 minutes.
- Space 6 chicken pieces evenly onto each of 4 skewers. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Coat the grill rack with canola oil. Grill the chicken on the rack for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally to ensure it is cooked evenly throughout.
- Serve with blueberry salsa, and enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
- I personally love cilantro. But, if you’re a person who thinks it has a “soapy” taste, you can omit it and still have a dish full of flavor!
*Adapted from Cooking Light June 2015
Last time I went blueberry picking there were some cherries still. This time there will be peaches at the farm too!
I’m of course bringing these skewers to Fiesta Friday, my favorite party in the blogosphere.
What’s your favorite meal to cook in the summertime?! Is it out on the grill, or with something freshly picked?
Happy Cooking, and have a wonderful weekend y’all!
P.S: In other big news on the blog, I updated the Travel Reviews page this week. The best parts?! A new page for reviews of 100% Gluten Free Restaurants and another for all things Disney!