Despite the recent snowstorms wrecking havoc in Boston, I managed to fly in and out for a quick trip with no delays! It was great to be home with mom’s cooking. We even tried out a new recipe: Kelly Nixon’s Lemon Chicken Quinoa Soup.
We were excited about this recipe because it is gluten free and doesn’t contain any of my allergens. Additionally, the quinoa doesn’t absorb all the broth because Kelly adds it when serving the soup! We’ll be using this new trick in future recipes too.
Now, I love heavy soups in the winter to warm me up, especially chili. And, while this soup happens to have a light and refreshing broth, it remains filling due to the addition of quinoa. Without further ado, here’s the recipe!
Lemon Chicken Quinoa Soup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz.), fire-roasted preferred
- 2 cups of chicken, shredded
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 cups quinoa
Place olive oil In a medium-size pot over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and carrots for 3-5 minutes until the onion is translucent and fragrant.
Next, add the garlic and cook for one minute. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
Add the chicken broth and tomatoes to the pot, and bring to a low simmer. Place the lid on the pot, and cook for ten minutes (or until carrots are tender).
- While waiting on the carrots, cook the quinoa according to the directions on the box.
Turn off the burner and stir in the chicken, peas, lemon zest, lemon juice, and thyme to the broth. You may add more salt and pepper to taste.
For each person, add 1/2 cup cooked quinoa to their bowl and then ladle the soup over the top.
Tips & Tricks
- If you want to save some for leftovers, do not add the quinoa. Store the broth and quinoa separately, and combine when serving as described above.
- For those of you who are vegan (or vegetarian), you can simply take the chicken out of this dish.
Recipe Adapted From Kelly Nixon, who was on the fourth season of the Food Network Star.
I’m excited to bring this dish to Fiesta Friday over at the Novice Gardener. This weekend, I’ll be enjoying some of my other favorite soups, such as Roasted, Curried, Butternut Squash, as I return to the Colorado mountains.