This post is a shout out to my friends with severe allergies and/or Celiac disease who check both the ingredients and processing plants of all their food products.
It’s been a busy week in our household, so we decided to make another soup that we could freeze in individual portions to eat throughout the next month. We were excited to try a new soup, “Spice it Up” from Taste of Home 2014, with only a slight modification by eliminating the bell peppers. (I have trouble digesting those!)
But nothing ever goes quite that simply in our kitchen! The original recipe called for canned diced tomatoes with chilies, and we couldn’t find any in our local grocery store that were definitely gluten free! (This is my ongoing battle.) At this point, missing two key ingredients, we switched out the type of tomatoes and mixed around the spices to create a tasty Spicy Turkey Sausage Soup.
Surely, cooking with allergies adds an extra thrill. You must be flexible, but you almost always get to add an extra dash of creativity, which makes it all the more fun : ) So, here’s our recipe! Enjoy!
Spicy Turkey Sausage Soup
Allergens: Celiac friendly and free of the top 8 allergens. Always check the labels on the ingredients that you choose to purchase.
- 12 oz. Andouille Sausage and/or Spicy Turkey Sausage (Niman Ranch is gluten free)
- ¾ lb. Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 32 oz. GF Beef Broth
- 2 cups of Water
- 2 cups of Frozen Corn
- 1 can (14½ oz.) Diced Tomatoes with garlic and onions, undrained (We used Del Monte.)
- 1 cup diced Carrots
- ⅓ cup minced Fresh Cilantro
- 2 Large Jalapeño Peppers
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Ground Ancho Chile
- Chop the large onion. Seed and chop the jalapeños. Mince the 3 garlic gloves and fresh cilantro. Dice the carrots. And, lastly, slice the sausage.
- Cook the sausage, beef, and onion on medium heat until the meet is no longer pink.
- Add in the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir.
- Bring the pot to a boil. Then, reduce the heat, place the cover on and simmer for approximately 35 minutes.
- Garnish and serve.
Adapted from “Spice it Up” from © Taste of Home 2014